14 Nov

Fibre Services outage

SINGAPORE – A fibre broadband service disruption in the eastern part of Singapore on Wednesday afternoon (Nov 14) has affected about 10,000 customers and some of them might get services back after only more than 24 hours.

In a statement on Wednesday night, NetLink Trust – the country’s fibre broadband network builder – said that services will be progressively restored by late Thursday afternoon.

It first received reports of a fibre service interruption at around 2.50pm. This means some customers might be without fibre broadband services – which includes Wi-Fi Internet connection – for more than 24 hours.

The outage affected users of all three major telcos and Internet service provider MyRepublic.

NetLink Trust said that the interruption was caused by a third-party contractor which severed a number of fibre cables while performing construction works along Tampines Avenue 9.

The network builder deployed its recovery team onsite and fibre service restoration is underway. It is also working with relevant parties to restore services to all affected areas, which includes the vicinity around Pasir Ris, Tampines, Changi and Loyang.

It urged affected customers to monitor NetLink Trust’s website at www.netlinktrust.com for updates.

Earlier in the day, Singtel, StarHub, M1 and MyRepublic posted on their Facebook pages that users in some areas like Tampines and Pasir Ris might experience difficulties accessing fibre Internet services, including Wi-Fi, television and phone services.

Singtel also said that some of its Wi-Fi hot spots on the island were affected, but these services have since been fully restored, according to an update at 6.46pm.

But fibre broadband, fixed voice and Singtel TV services in the north-eastern part of Singapore services remain affected.

Some netizens said that areas like Punggol and Sengkang were also affected by the fibre broadband downtime.

Housewife Kendra Koh, 26, a StarHub customer who lives in Pasir Ris, said she began experiencing difficulties connecting to Wi-Fi at around 3pm. She eventually had to buy unlimited mobile data for one day from another mobile service provider for one of her two cellphones so that she could connect her Internet TV set to the phone’s wireless hot spot.

“This is not the first time that this has happened. It has happened at least a couple of times recently and it’s quite ridiculous,” said Ms Koh.

Telco regulator Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) said that it is aware that a cable cut incident resulted in the service disruption to fixed-line telecom services to users in some eastern parts of Singapore such as Tampines.

“IMDA is investigating the incident and has asked affected service providers to restore services expeditiously,” he said.

In an update at 9.18pm, StarHub said that as a gesture of goodwill and appreciation, it will offer affected fibre customers a $10 rebate on their December bill.

Singtel also said that it would follow up with affected customers to waive their local mobile data charges until services are restored.

At 7.15am on Thursday morning, M1 said in a statement on its Facebook page that about half of its affected customers had their services restored.

As of 9.49am, Singtel said that progressive restoration of the affected broadband services was at 80 per cent. It also added that all fixed voice services had been restored by 2am.

StarHub said at 10.50am that NetLink Trust had restored approximately 80 per cent of the affected underground fibre cables serving its customers.

Article first sighted on The Straits Times.

19 Oct

Singtel mobile disruption

Many Singtel mobile users found themselves unable to make calls or access the Internet last night.

Customers took to Singtel’s Facebook page to complain about service disruptions in areas such as Jurong, Bishan, Ang Mo Kio, Bukit Merah, Woodlands, Sengkang and Potong Pasir.

Singtel said in an update on its Facebook page at about 11.30pm: “We are experiencing some mobile network issues. Our engineers are investigating and we will provide updates as more information comes in. Thank you for your patience.”

At least 200 posts complaining about the lack of calling, text messaging and 4G data services were made since about 10pm.

In a post, user Jess Woo said she had tried to restart her phone multiple times in the last hour. “Till now no response or official updates from Singtel on their page”, she added at the time, before Singtel’s post.

UPDATE on 20-10-18

A power-related issue was behind a disruption to Singtel’s mobile services that affected many users islandwide for more than three hours from around 10pm on Thursday.

The Straits Times understands that it was an internal power issue.

Apologising for the service disruption, the telco said in an update on Facebook at 1.20am yesterday that it detected issues with mobile voice and data services on its 3G and 4G network at 10.11pm.

“Initial investigations indicate that this was due to a power-related issue. Affected services have been progressively restored from 11.50pm and we will continue to monitor the network closely to ensure full restoration,” said Singtel.

It will be offering its mobile pre-paid and post-paid customers a day of free local mobile data on Nov 10, a Saturday.

A spokesman for telco regulator Infocomm Media Development Authority said it is investigating the incident.

BADLY AFFECTED

I could… not use the phone network. This caused me great inconvenience.

SINGTEL USER CHLOE POH, who was unable to call for a Grab car to get home after an office event.

While some customers said service was restored for them after Singtel’s 1.20am update, others still had issues connecting to the Internet on their mobile lines.

The telco said later at 2am that as of 1.22am, all affected services had been restored.

A Singtel spokesman said yesterday: “We regret last evening’s service interruption that affected mobile voice, SMS and data services…

“We apologise for the inconvenience caused to our customers and thank them for their patience.”

On Thursday night, many Singtel mobile users said they were unable to make calls or access the Internet.

Customers took to Singtel’s Facebook page to complain about service disruptions in areas such as Jurong, Bishan, Ang Mo Kio, Bukit Merah, Woodlands, Orchard, Sengkang and Potong Pasir.

Between 10pm, when users said they started experiencing problems, and about 11pm on Thursday, there were at least 200 posts complaining about the lack of calling, text messaging and 4G data services.

Singtel first posted about the disruption at about 11pm, noting that there were mobile network issues, and that its engineers were looking into the matter.

In an update at 12.20am yesterday, Singtel said: “We regret to inform that some customers may be experiencing intermittent difficulties accessing mobile voice and data services on the 3G/4G network.”

By 1am, Singtel’s post about the disruption had received about 2,000 comments, about 1,800 reactions – including likes and angry reactions – and 770 shares.

In a Facebook post before Singtel’s update, user Jess Woo said she had tried to restart her phone multiple times in the last hour.

“Till now no response or official updates from Singtel on their page,” she added.

User Chloe Poh said she tried to call for a Grab car home after an office event but could not do so. “I could… not use the phone network. This caused me great inconvenience. Please give an explanation.”

Legal trainee Tan Anqi Angelina, 24, told The Straits Times that she relied on her home’s Wi-Fi network to surf the Internet.

“I’m not exactly sure when service resumed but when I went to bed at around 1am, it was still down,” she said.

Another Singtel subscriber, Ms Lim Lee Ren, 25, said she was not badly affected, as she was at home and could still rely on Wi-Fi.

But Ms Lim, who is an analyst at a finance start-up, added: “It would have been problematic if I was out and unable to reply to my bosses who need replies 24/7.”

Article first sighted on The Straits Times.

03 Jul

Singtel outage

SINGAPORE — Singtel has apologised for the 3-hour broadband outage on Wednesday (July 4) morning. According to a Singtel spokesman, the disruption was due to “some performance issues with our DNS (Domain Name Server)”.

The spokesman said: “We regret that our fixed broadband customers could not access their internet this morning…The issue has since been resolved and all services were restored by 10.55 am. We apologise for the inconvenience caused and thank our customers for their patience.”

Some Singtel fixed broadband customers took to Facebook to complain about disruptions to their internet access from as early as 7am on Wednesday.

The telco acknowledged the problem in a Facebook post at 9.03am, saying that some customers may be experiencing difficulty accessing the Internet on mobile and broadband devices, and that its engineers are “investigating”.

The disruption appeared widespread, with users reporting the problem from various locations, including Hougang, Ang Mo Kio, Woodlands, Tampines, Punggol, Sengkang, Toa Payoh, Jurong and Bukit Batok.

The telco’s website as well as that of payment provider AXS could not be accessed for some time in the morning.

An AXS spokesperson told TODAY that services on both its electronic payment channels — AXS e-Station and AXS m-Station — were inaccessible to users between 7.45am and 10.30am. Full service have since resumed for both these e-channels.

AT 11.39am, regulator Info-communications Media Development Authority tweeted that it is aware of the disruption, and that it has “begun investigations”.

In December 2016, Singtel’s fibre broadband services were similarly disrupted for several hours, and preliminary findings found that it was due to a technical issue that affected a SingNet server.

Article first sighted on Today.